Monday, February 28, 2011

DIY glitter your flats!

I stumbled across We Are Not Martha's DIY glitter flats a while back. Seeing how simple and easy the instructions made it seem, I was possessed with idea of glittering all of my shoes. But, I restrained myself and settled on revamping my oh so old but very comfortable flats. Any cheapie flats from target/walmart/payless may serve as a suitable alternative for this.

You may follow the steps from We Are Not Martha but here are my step processes to glitterifying your own shoes :D

1. Martha Stewart Antique Silver Glitter 2. Mod Podge Gloss Glue 3. Folk Art Clear Glaze 4. Sponge Brush (Not pictured: beige grosgrain ribbon, glue gun

Supplies:

Glitter
Mod Podge Gloss Glue (They have one made for fabric, which I think may help in terms of flexibility)
Clear Glaze Spray
Sponge Brush
Ribbon
Glue Gun

Mix the Mod Podge glue and glitter into a plastic cup or bucket. This is an old McDonalds happy meal bucket. All the blogs/tutorial states that the consistency should be runny. I might have made it a little bit chunkier than that .. woops



Use the foam brush to apply the glitter/glue mix. Don't worry about how messy it looks. The mod podge dries clear. 


You may need to put up to 3 to 4 coats in order to achieve the glitter consistency of the flats. Allow half an hour or more to dry in between coats. Not waiting enough will cause cracking. (Please disregard the worn out sole. These shoes are 4 years old from clearance when Jasmine Sola went out of business.) 

Spray the clear glaze as directed. Please do this OUTDOORS or in a well ventilated area. Doing this at 2 am in my room gave me a major headache. The clear glaze sets the glitters and reduces the likelihood of the glitter falling all over the place. But even without it, mod podge acts as a sealant and the glitter stays put!


For the finishing touch, use the glue gun to apply a ribbon bow for the finishing touch, and voila! An old pair of ratty flats destined for the trash has now become my fanciest shoe. 

Upon closer inspection, the glitter is not as flat and smooth as I would have liked on the flats. The well worn creases from years of abuse on the flats caused some problems with cracking. The consistency of the glitter/glue I believe caused problems with cracking too. But the imperfections are near invisible when seen from an eye level to ground view so I shall consider this a success!

I can't wait to attempt some glitter shoes, very much like the Miu Miu ones!

1 comment:

  1. omg.... so glittery, i LOVEEEEE! i also love the korean newspaper in the background.. ;D

    ReplyDelete