Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Crafty sign

For those who don't know, I work as a nurse on an oncology floor with bone marrow transplant unit. Most of the patients that I work with suffer from Leukemia and Lymphoma and so the patients tend to stay for a very long periods of time or come back often.

One of my patient was in the middle of her chemo treatment over several days. She occupied her time by doing different types of craft. My first day taking care of her, she showed me a sign with felt cut outs of her name. A volunteer in a hospital had made it for her many years ago and she thought it was a nice idea to make for other people.

Having no shame, I jokingly asked her if she was working on a sign for me. =X hehehe! Guess she felt obligated now that I had mentioned it (I'd like to believe it was because I was such an awesome nurse) but the next day, she presented me with my very own sign!!

Always appreciating crafts and other people's handiwork, I proudly carried it back.


Often, patients spend long hours in their bed without anything but a TV to occupy their time. Seeing this particular patient fill her time by making this little project for her loved ones seemed like a good way to pass the hours. I definitely appreciated the final result :) 

photo template courtesy of Pugly Pixel

2 comments:

  1. awww that's so sweet! where you gonna put it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. keke, on my door room.. and i'll make a KEEP OUT sign too!

    ReplyDelete